When the Swedish politician Erik Hellsborn of the rather xenophobic Sweden Democrats party blogged that the massacre in Norway was really due to mass immigration and islamization that had driven the killer to extremes (link in Swedish), he of course set himself up for a harsh reprimand from the party chairman Jimmie Åkesson: “I do not share this analysis at all. One cannot blame individual human actions on social structures like this.”
While it is certainly politically rational for the party to try to distance themselves as far as they can from the mass-murderer Breivik (who mentioned them positively by name in his manifesto) this is of course a rather clear deviation from many previous comments from the party that do indeed seem to blame bad actions by people, such as terrorism, as due to Islam or other (foreign) social structures.
It is of course always enjoyable to see political movements you disagree with struggle with their internal contradictions. But this is an area where most of us do have problems: how much of the responsibility of an action do we assign to the individual doing it, and how much do we assign to the group the person belongs to?
- Getting People To Get Things Done – A New Psychological Trick
- When warning is not informing: Alcohol labels will not be as straightforward as cigarette labels
- Epigenetics and Blaming Pregnant Women: Hasty Conclusions, Control, and Simplified Burden of Responsibility
- “Please randomize me – but don’t tell my family that you did”
- Two Kinds of Compassion
- Female genital mutilation (FGM) and male circumcision: time to confront the double standard
- Don’t Give Money to Beggars
- Being ethically responsible to see ethical complexities: What Israel can teach us about ethics
- Should we do more to help paedophiles?
- Freezing critique: privileged views and cryonics
- Anders Sandberg on When warning is not informing: Alcohol labels will not be as straightforward as cigarette labels
- Phil on When warning is not informing: Alcohol labels will not be as straightforward as cigarette labels
- MCA on Should we do more to help paedophiles?
- Roger Crisp on Two Kinds of Compassion
- Dave Frame on Two Kinds of Compassion