Press Release: Majority of UK public want choice at the end of life – survey

Most people in the UK would like the option of being heavily sedated, having a general anaesthestic or to having euthanasia, if they were dying, according to Oxford research published today in the medical journal PLOS One.

Professor Dominic Wilkinson, Professor Julian Savulescu and colleagues from the Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics, surveyed more than 500 adults in August 2020 on their views about the care of a patient who had one week to live.

The study found a high level of support for access to deep sedation in dying patients.
Some 88% said they would like the option of a general anaesthetic if they were dying. Meanwhile, 79% of those surveyed said they would like to have the option of euthanasia.
But just 64% said they would personally choose anaesthetic at the end of life and nearly half said they would not choose euthanasia for themselves or a family member.

The report maintains, ‘This study indicates that a substantial proportion of the general community support a range of options at the end of life, including some that are not currently offered in the UK.’

According to Professor Wilkinson, ‘Previous surveys have shown that a large proportion of the UK public wish to have the option of euthanasia. This study shows an even larger number wish to have the choice of being heavily sedated or even receiving a general anaesthetic if they were dying.’

He continues, ‘Currently, in the UK it is legal for doctors to provide pain relief to dying patients, and to use sedatives if that is not enough to keep a patient comfortable. Heavy sedation is used as an option of last resort. General anaesthesia is not currently considered. But members of the general public value the option of deep sleep and complete relief from pain if they were dying. They believe that patients should be given this choice.’

Meanwhile, Professor Savulescu adds, ‘Patients have a right to be unconscious if they are dying. This survey shows that the general public want to have greater choice at the end of life.’
ENDS

Notes for Editors

For more information, please contact news.office@admin.ox.ac.uk

1. The survey is based on two anonymous online surveys of members of the UK public, sampled to be representative. They were given a scenario of a hypothetical terminally ill patient with one week to live and asked about the acceptability of providing titrated analgesia, gradual sedation, terminal anaesthesia, and euthanasia.
2. Across both surveys, a majority had undertaken higher education, with seven in 10 having A levels or higher qualifications. Meanwhile, just 2.4% overall had no qualifications.
3. Just over half of all respondents said they were religious with 13.8% describing themselves as very religious.

1. My mom was terminal with cancer. It was very aggressive and had already spread by the time she found out she it. She said I wish I was a dog because at least they would put me down and end the pain. I said ‘ if i was able to take you to Switzerland and give you euthanasia then I would mom if thats what you really want.’ But due to the pandemic of covid 19 this was not a option. She said I dont ever want to be nil mouth unfortunately she had no choice towards the end and she did go nil by mouth. I feel daughter guilt everyday that i wasnt able to follow these wishes though and feel it is unfair for other families to go though the same thing.

2. Thanks Cheryl. I had the same experience with my mother. That is why I wrote these articles. My mother was given “palliative care” – subcutaneous injections of morphine and midazolam. Too little, too late.

There is no need for dying patients to suffer.

3. I think that the evidence is clear (from multiple sources and surveys). The British public support the need for a change in the law allowing those who are terminally ill and suffering to be able to choose an Assisted Death. People do not choose to suffer but they should be able to choose when that suffering is too much for them bear.