Lincoln Frias – member of the International Neuroethics Society, Post-Doctoral Fellow at the Federal University of Minas Gerais (CAPES, NEPC-UFMG), Brazil.
Please focus: now, imagine a cute little child with her curious big eyes, her surprising funny remarks, and out of blue kindness. But now imagine her being kicked in the head to death, blood all over the place, despite her helplessness and her painful screams. If you really imagined this scenario, you probably experienced a revulsive feeling in your guts, tension in the jaw and maybe even a bitter taste in your mouth. Now, change the perspective: now it is you who is kicking her, causing her teeth to break, and all the blood coming out of her little body while she cries with a squeaky voice. This new vision probably brought even more aversive feelings, something similar to disgust, and it is possible that you are frowning right now, maybe even considering stop reading. To make things worse, imagine that your mother saw you doing that. This elicits a powerful feeling composed by anxiety, horror and intrusive thoughts of guilt and inadequacy, leaving you in a submissive state of mind. Continue reading →
- Getting People To Get Things Done – A New Psychological Trick
- When warning is not informing: Alcohol labels will not be as straightforward as cigarette labels
- Epigenetics and Blaming Pregnant Women: Hasty Conclusions, Control, and Simplified Burden of Responsibility
- “Please randomize me – but don’t tell my family that you did”
- Two Kinds of Compassion
- Female genital mutilation (FGM) and male circumcision: time to confront the double standard
- Don’t Give Money to Beggars
- Being ethically responsible to see ethical complexities: What Israel can teach us about ethics
- Should we do more to help paedophiles?
- Freezing critique: privileged views and cryonics
- Anders Sandberg on When warning is not informing: Alcohol labels will not be as straightforward as cigarette labels
- Phil on When warning is not informing: Alcohol labels will not be as straightforward as cigarette labels
- MCA on Should we do more to help paedophiles?
- Roger Crisp on Two Kinds of Compassion
- Dave Frame on Two Kinds of Compassion