Lincoln Frias – member of the International Neuroethics Society, Post-Doctoral Fellow at the Federal University of Minas Gerais (CAPES, NEPC-UFMG), Brazil.
Please focus: now, imagine a cute little child with her curious big eyes, her surprising funny remarks, and out of blue kindness. But now imagine her being kicked in the head to death, blood all over the place, despite her helplessness and her painful screams. If you really imagined this scenario, you probably experienced a revulsive feeling in your guts, tension in the jaw and maybe even a bitter taste in your mouth. Now, change the perspective: now it is you who is kicking her, causing her teeth to break, and all the blood coming out of her little body while she cries with a squeaky voice. This new vision probably brought even more aversive feelings, something similar to disgust, and it is possible that you are frowning right now, maybe even considering stop reading. To make things worse, imagine that your mother saw you doing that. This elicits a powerful feeling composed by anxiety, horror and intrusive thoughts of guilt and inadequacy, leaving you in a submissive state of mind. Continue reading →
- How Important Is Population Ethics?
- Moral Enhancement Won’t Work For The Very Reason It Is Claimed To Be Desirable
- Equality and the Clinical Trial Dating Agency
- Facebook and Apple – Increasing choice and control or creating biased solutions?
- Harsher sentences for murder of a police officer: what are the arguments?
- Female genital mutilation (FGM) and male circumcision: should there be a separate ethical discourse?
- Don’t Give Money to Beggars
- Would you hand over a moral decision to a machine? Why not? Moral outsourcing and Artificial Intelligence.
- Does it matter that there’s cocaine in our water supply?
- What if schizophrenics really are possessed by demons, after all?
- Andrews on How Important Is Population Ethics?
- John Scott on Moral Enhancement Won’t Work For The Very Reason It Is Claimed To Be Desirable
- Julian Savulescu on Equality and the Clinical Trial Dating Agency
- HT on Moral Enhancement Won’t Work For The Very Reason It Is Claimed To Be Desirable
- Dave Frame on Moral Enhancement Won’t Work For The Very Reason It Is Claimed To Be Desirable